Source: Health and Safety Executive (HSE)


Making sure you know exactly what workplace injuries and incidents you must report

The Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) puts duties on employers, the self-employed, and people in control of work premises to report certain serious workplace accidents.

HSE’s RIDDOR pages explain what must be reported and how to make a report.

RIDDOR-related resources for employers include HSE’s leaflet Reporting accidents and incidents at work (INDG453). There is also the Accident Book – companies of 10 employees and more must have one of these and keep it up to date.


With summer arriving and the subsequent increase in seasonal work, it’s worth noting HSE’s health and safety guidance for new and temporary workers.

Workers are as likely to have an accident in the first six months at a workplace as during the rest of their working life. Visit HSE’s website for advice on protecting new workers.

All businesses must be aware of their health and safety responsibilities for agency workers and temporary employees too.  

Download HSE’s free copy of their leaflet Your health, your safety: a brief guide for workers, which outlines  employees’ health and safety rights.

» Read this week’s HSE  health and safety headlines