Care Home Impartial Assessor
What is a Care Home Impartial Assessor?
A registered nurse who works on behalf of Hertfordshire Care Homes with the Integrated Discharge Teams and wards at Lister and Princess Alexandra Hospital to impartially assess new, returning or self-funded local care home residents and simplify their transition from the hospital to local Care Homes.
We hear all too often about delayed discharges from hospital so we are delighted to have received funding for the Care Home Impartial Assessor service to represent private Care Homes and conduct comprehensive assessments on their behalf.
What are the benefits?
- Speeds up the discharge process for your Care Home residents
- Improves communication between the hospital and the care homes thanks to a dedicated point of contact
- Ensures that your care home is confident that they can provide appropriate care for the resident based on their needs
- Care Home staff can spend their time looking after residents rather than making the journey to and from hospital
How does it work?
- The Care Home Impartial Assessor will be alerted to any planned discharges by care homes and the hospital
- The Care Home Impartial Assessor will carry out an assessment on behalf of the home
- The Care Home Impartial Assessor will then follow up with the care home 72 hours after discharge to check on the resident
How can the Care Home Impartial Assessor help you?
“I thought the process and communication were very good and our resident’s discharge went well. I certainly think this process will benefit us at Honister because most of my staff live locally and do not drive, so cannot pick this task up if I am not around. Lister Hospital is a 30 mile round trip from here, so there is sometimes a time issue on busy days. We look forward to working with Heather again in future.”
Julie Hutchins, Registered Manager at Honister Care Home
A Care Home Journey
An interactive online resource to support nursing care
The Royal College of Nursing has created an interactive online resource allowing you to follow a resident’s care home journey through from pre-admission to end of life or to simply access individual sections to meet your learning needs and seek clinical inspiration.
Each section demonstrates the role of nursing staff when supporting the resident, their families and nursing colleagues at a particular stage of the journey – with the resident’s needs being the priority.
The resource provides real-life scenarios and case studies signposting to high quality, evidence-based resources to answer the clinical questions that frequently affect those caring for older people.
Lister Hospital from Monday – Saturday between
Princess Alexandra Hospital from Monday – Friday between
Watford General Hospital from Monday – Friday between
Call us on 01707 536020 to learn more or email the Impartial Assessors directly below