Course fee: Fully funded for providers within the Hertfordshire & West Essex Integrated Care System
Two day course at HCPA Campus
Day 1: 14/09/2023
Day 2: 15/09/2023
All sessions must be attended (T&C’s apply).
The Health and Care Act 2022 introduced a requirement that CQC regulated service providers ensure their staff receive training on learning disability and autism which is appropriate to the person’s role.
This is to ensure the health and social care workforce have the right skills and knowledge to provide safe, compassionate and informed care to autistic people and people with a learning disability.
The Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training is the government’s preferred and recommended training for health and social care staff.
It was developed as a single standardised training package as set out in “Right to be heard”, the government’s response to the consultation on proposals for introducing mandatory learning disability and autism training for health and social care staff.
Employers using The Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training on Learning Disability and Autism can have confidence that this training is recognised by national bodies advising on standards for the sector.
Who is the “Train the Trainer – The Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training on Learning Disability and Autism (Tier 2)” for?
Trainers with existing knowledge and experience in learning disabilities and autism can undertake this programme in order to co-train (with Experts with Lived Experience) Tier 2 of The Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training on Learning Disability and Autism to teams within their service.
Tier 2 of The Oliver McGowan Mandatory Training includes content on:
• Avoiding diagnostic overshadowing
• Frequently co-occurring conditions (co-morbidities)
• The laws: Mental Capacity Act, Human Rights Act, Autism Act, Equality Act
• Reasonable adjustments including hospital passports,
• Appropriate application of DNACPR
• Culture (professional bias and subconscious beliefs); professional behaviour and impact on outcomes and other people’s behaviour
• How to communicate in accessible ways
• How to understand what the person (and their family) is saying
• Ask Listen Do
• Learning from LeDer
As per our T&C’s, this course carries a fee for non-attendance, non-completion or late cancellation.