Advice from ACAS regarding simple steps for employers in the UK
In case the Coronavirus (COVID-19) spreads more widely in the UK, employers should consider some simple steps to help protect the health and safety of staff.
It’s good practice for employers to:
- Keep everyone updated on actions being taken to reduce risks of exposure in the workplace
- Make sure everyone’s contact numbers and emergency contact details are up-to-date
- Make sure managers know how to spot the symptoms of the Coronavirus and are clear on any relevant processes, for example sickness reporting and sick pay, and procedures in case someone in the workplace develops the virus
- Make sure there are clean places to wash hands with hot water and soap and encourage everyone to wash their hands regularly
- Provide hand sanitiser and tissues for staff and encourage them to use them
- Consider if protective face masks might help for people working in particularly vulnerable situations
- Consider if any travel planned to affected areas is essential
- Employers must not single anyone out. For example, they must not treat an employee differently because of their race or ethnicity.
» READ MORE – ‘Coronavirus: advice for employers and employees’