NHS Improvement have recently published an alert for all health and social care organisations, which highlights the cross infection risks posed by portable fans.
The following is a summary of the main point for care homes:
- Avoid the use of a fan for infectious residents
- Avoid the use of a fan within the care home during an infectious outbreak
- Only fans that can be adequately decontaminated should be used in the care home (Therefore, bladeless fans must be avoided if being used for more than one resident)
- Any portable fans determined by risk assessment to present an infection risk should be removed from clinical use
- All portable fans must be decontaminated before use in the bedroom of a different resident
- There must be a programme of planned maintenance and cleaning of all portable fans
- This alert applies to portable fans in any resident area
If you have any queries regarding this alert, please contact Lynn Stewart (Head of Infection Prevention & Control, HVCCG & ENHCCG) on email@example.com.
&raqo; View the CAS Alert