Following on from the letter from Jim McManus outlining Hertfordshire County Council’s non-essential visitor guidance, colleagues have taken on board feedback around some aspects.
Do you feel your circumstances sit outside of the guidance given?
In some circumstances, Care Homes may feel that they have assessed the risk as to be manageable and therefore can safely open some or all of their home to non-essential visitors outside of the guidance outlined in the Public Health Hertfordshire letter.
In these circumstances, the Care Home is required to email Hertfordshire County Council using the email email@example.com, outlining the risk assessment they have undertaken to reach this conclusion. This email should cover:
- Current position of the home in terms of the outbreak or COVID-19 status amongst staff and residents
- A confirmation that the swabbing for all negative residents and staff has been undertaken at 4-7 days
- When the home was last open for non-essential visits and how they were operated and will manage visitors going forward
- The risk assessment undertaken using the visitor guidance checklist and the measures that will be taken to avoid any risk of transmission
- The subject line in the email should read ‘visitors guidance appeal’
Working with system partners, the county council will respond back to the Care Home with a decision within 3 working days
Any decision made as part of the appeal can be reviewed and amended based on new evidence and prevalence of COVID-19 in the local system.
The decision only applies in that particular situation and the Care Home will need to close for non-essential visitors if there is a new positive case or symptomatic resident or staff member or due to the situation in the local area.
Have you sent in your Visitors checklist to Hertfordshire County Council yet?
If you have still to complete your visitors checklist which was due to be returned to ACS by 15th August, please can you do this as a matter of urgency.
Please also see the handy visitors tracking form HCPA have put together for homes to use should you not already have one in place.
If you have any queries at all on managing visitors please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for support.