- This course has passed.
Nutritional Support – Food First – Cohort 4
10 June - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
This course is suitable for all levels of staff who are working in older people care services within residential, nursing or homecare environments.
During this course delegates will gain an understanding of the different types of nutritional support and learn how to identify and treat service users who require nutritional support using a ‘Food First’ approach. Case studies will be used to develop nutritional care plans that include fortified foods and nourishing snacks and drinks. The appropriate use of oral nutritional supplements will be discussed with reference to the CCG guidance.
By the end of the course learners will be able to:
• Describe the different types of nutritional support
• Identify service users who require nutritional support
• Define a ‘Food First’ approach to nutritional support
• Describe how to use fortified foods to increase the energy and protein content for a service user who requires nutritional support
• Develop a nutritional care plan for a service user who requires nutritional support.
• List a range of suitable nourishing snack and drinks
• Demonstrate how to use and follow the CCG guidance on appropriate prescribing of oral nutritional supplements (ONS)
Requirements and expectations
Learners will be expected to be engaged in learning, participate in all activities including group discussions, share their own experiences of working in the care sector, whilst respecting confidentiality, and to share best practice examples
A Onefile (e-portfolio) profile will be created on the learners behalf to support them in the completion of their course