Dysphagia & Nutritional Problems – Cohort 3
15 June - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
This course is suitable for all levels of staff who are working in older people care services within residential, nursing or homecare environments.
In this course we will cover 4 main conditions that can adversely affect the nutritional status of a service user namely dysphagia, poor oral health, pressure ulcers and COVID-19. The IDDSI guidance for thickened fluids and modified texture diets will be explained and demonstrated. The impact of poor oral health on a person’s nutritional intake will be explored emphasising the importance of regular mouth care and assessment. The relationship between pressure ulcers and nutrition will be explored in addition to the role of nutrition during recovery and rehabilitation from COVID-19.
By the end of the course learners will be able to:
• Describe the anatomy and physiology of a normal swallow
• Recognise the signs of an abnormal swallow and the nutritional implications of dysphagia
• Describe the International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI) Guidelines for thickened fluids and modified textured diets
• Make a thickened drink and prepare a soaking solution.
• Describe how diets can be modified to meet the required texture and consistency for service users with dysphagia
• Describe the factors that affect oral health and the consequences of poor oral health
• Describe how to carry out a mouth assessment and provide support to promote good oral health for your service users
• Describe the role of nutrition in the prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers
• Discuss the impact that COVID-19 has had for your service users
• Plan how to deliver excellent nutritional care to support the recovery and rehabilitation of service users recovering from COVID-19
Requirements and expectations
Learners will be expected to be engaged in learning, participate in all activities including group discussions, share their own experiences of working in the care sector, whilst respecting confidentiality, and to share best practice examples
A Onefile (e-portfolio) profile will be created on the learners behalf to support them in the completion of their course