- This course has passed.
10 January - 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
This course will give you a broad understanding of the causes and symptoms of dysphagia and an overview of its management. There will be an opportunity to prepare thickened drinks and soaking solutions correctly to ensure safe feeding practices. Improving food choice and variety is essential to ensure that service users with dysphagia meet their nutritional and hydration needs adequately. The training will follow the new IDDSI guidance.
- Define dysphagia and recognise the incidence in the LD community
- Describe the different stages of a normal swallow
- Describe the symptoms and consequences of dysphagia
- Explain the IDDSI Guidance
- Prepare appropriately thickened drinks according to the IDDSI Guidelines
- Prepare a soaking solution
- Demonstrate safe feeding techniques
- Modify menu plans to meet the needs of service users with dysphagia to provide variety and meet preferences
- Adhere to best practice guidance and legislation with respect to mental capacity and dysphagia
- Explain the reasons for instigating PEG feeding
Requirements & Suitability
Suitable for any staff working within an Adult Disability Support Service