- This course has passed.
Diabetes and Obesity (For Adult Disability Support Services)
29 November - 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
During this course, delegates will gain an overview of diabetes management and treatment in relation to the needs of service users with a learning disability. Different methods and approaches will be discussed and explored in order to promote healthier eating patterns in order to encourage weight loss and maintenance in those service users who are overweight and optimal control of diabetes.
- Describe and explain the Eatwell Guide
- Assess whether service users are having a balanced diet
- Identify medication that has an impact on weight gain and / or nutritional status
- Identify strategies to promote personalised nutritional plans to promote weight loss where necessary
- Explain Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- Discuss the importance of monitoring blood glucose control in service users with diabetes
- State current dietary guidelines for diabetes
- Identify strategies to promote personalised nutritional plans to support compliance and optimal control of service users with diabetes
Requirements and Suitability
Suitable for any staff working within an Adult Disability Support Service