- This course has passed.
Become an Infection Prevention and Control Lead
19 February - 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
This is a lead-based course with the intention of attendees cascading knowledge and changing practice in the care home setting.
This course looks at, the chain of infection and what action to take to stop transmission including, hand hygiene, the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), vaccinations, myths and misconceptions around the flu vaccine, outbreak recognition and management, in elderly Care Homes within Hertfordshire and West Essex.
By the end of this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe ways in how we can minimise the spread of infections
- Describe and explain standard IPC precautions:
- Understand why hand hygiene is essential
- Identify when to perform hand hygiene
- Description of correct procedure
- Practical demonstration
- The importance of the flu vaccination for both residents and staff
- Understand how to recognise and manage an outbreak based on local procedure and where support can be obtained
- Gain awareness of the five most common infections in residents and actions to take
Requirements and Suitability
This course is suitable for trainers, nurses and leaders working within elderly Care Homes who will be able to return to the Care Home and cascade information to staff through the use of the Herts and west Essex Care Home IPC cascade toolkit.