- This course has passed.
Medication Best Practice- Responsibilities for Managers- Homecare Cohort 1
23 September - 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
This course introduces organisations such as NICE, CQC, HCC and the CCG’s best practices around medication. This course specifically looks at the Local County Council Medication Policy for Homecare.
- To manage medicines in peoples own homes
- Understand the local authority medication policy
- The protocol for the use of homely medicines and what this should include
- Understand how homely medicines and over the counter medicines may be obtained, stored and administered
- Understand the difference between covert and overt administration
- Understand why a person may refuse medicines and to understand their right to refuse
- Understand issues to be considered in local procedures for covert administration
- Understand what types of medicines may be administered “when required” or “PRN”
- Define side effects and understand why older people are more vulnerable
- Identifies medication competency checks for staff
Requirements and Suitability
This course is suitable for Homecare leaders with responsibility around medication. The learners should be able to disseminate the learning to others in the workplace.